„Harley Quinn, pleased to meetcha!“
„You really know how to put the „fun“ in „funeral“, boss“
„I’d just to like to say, if there were no Batman, there’d be no Joker and I never woulda met my Puddin!! Thank you, Batman!“
„Yeesh, ya make one little mistake and they never letcha forget!“
Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel, also known as Harley Quinn first appeared in the Batman: The Animated Series episode „Joker’s Favor“, where she served as a humorous female sidekick to the Joker. Originally she was the therapist of the Joker but fell madly in love with him and helped him to escape the Arkham Asylum. Since then she’s the sidekick of the Joker and helps him with his plans.
Since Harley Quinn appeared the first time in the DC Universe, many things happened and there are a lot of awesome stories of her. I love her energetic and charming character and that she’s still an intelligent adult who knows how to combine her appearance and flirt techniques to get her what she wants. I’m stunned by her since I discovered this character! I was inspired to cosplay her by Faerie Blossom, who did a really great job cosplaying her.
Harley Quinn is one of my favourite characters ever and this is why I was often inspired to cosplay her in different versions and there will even be more in the future.
- Character: Harley Quinn
- Comic: Batman (DC Universe)
- Abilities: expert gymnast, immunity to various toxins, utilizes weaponized props, genius level intellect, trained in psychiatry
- Height: 170 cm (5′ 7″)
- Weight: 64 kg (140 lbs)
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Blond
About the Project
The first suit was not completly self made. I bought a bodysuit which was half red and half black. Then I’ve cut and turned the upper half so it got his typical pattern. Also the „gloves“ were just turned around and sewed back on. I can’t recommend that because it’s not very comfy when the thumb isn’t right placed and it’s much easier at a con when you can just get off your gloves.
The diamonds were a NIGHTMARE. The bodysuit was made of very thin fabric and so when I tried to sew on the diamonds the edges weren’t sharp enough or disappeared in the suit. I couldn’t find any solution until the night before the con and my boyfriend had the idea to spray the black diamonds onto the red part of the suit. (Better than nothing). A few months later I tried again to sew them on and with iron fleece it worked better but I would recommend thicker fabric for this!
Collar & Cuffs
For the collar I made my own pattern and my boyfriend made me the little pompom’s because I somehow couldn’t manage to make them. The cuffs are made out of satin ribbon and an elastic ribbon with a tutorial from Youtube. It’s very easy when you know the trick and I love how the turned out!
Mask & Shoes
For the mask I printed the pattern of it and traced the form to Worbla, heated and formed it and finally painted the mask black. The shoes were originally black, I bought them in a local store and painted one shoe with acrylic paint red.
I wanted to give myself a challenge and redid the whole costume. I decided to make the bodysuit all by myself with a bought pattern. Already this was a challenge for me because of the elastic fabric and the first time working with a pattern. The zipper is still not satisfying for me but I will remake it. I took my time for this project and tried to sew the diamonds manually onto the suit and this worked pretty good. I also added some elastic ribbon to the bottom parts so the legs won’t slip upside. This time I made gloves which you can remove without taking off the whole suit. I just drew my hands on the fabric and added some extra space and then sewed it together. I needed some multiple tries but it wasn’t that difficult.
The cowl was a really big part for me. I couldn’t find any good pattern and I searched in the internet for different variations. In the end the best way was to insert an elastic ribbon to the part where the face is so the mask is straight on the skin. I also added a zipper in the back. First I made it with velcro in the front but it looked awful when I took the collar off. For the horns I used first only the elastic fabric but when I stuffed them, they weren’t even so I took some cotton fabric as second layer for the inside so the horns became more stable and the result was way more even than without.
Collar & Cuffs
The cuffs were made the same way as the first ones. The cowl aswell but I wanted to add a zipper. I still have to finish the cowl though.
This time I used two layers of Worbla and added an elastic ribbon to the ends so I don’t have to glue the mask on my face.